Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Beginning

We found out in May 2010 that we were expecting our 5th child. I woke up one morning feeling different. I told my hubby that I was pretty sure I was pregnant. This feeling was familiar. Like I'd felt it 4 times before. Which I had with my other 4 children. So we waited until it was the right time and I took a couple of pregnancy tests. Positives!
So the first thing to do was to get some insurance so I could start prenatal care. I applied for CHIP and Medicaid and was denied over and over again until I was 26 weeks pregnant. I was finally accepted and made an appointment for October 13th. In the meantime we bought a doppler from Babies R Us and tried to listen to the babies heartbeat that way. I was never quite sure I could hear it. I figured I wasn't using the doppler right. I remember having multiple conversations with my mom and told her that even IF there was something wrong with our baby it didn't matter. This was our child no matter what and nothing that could possibly happen would make me end the pregnancy or feel any different. Which she of course completely agreed with me.
~ October 13th 2010 ~
My husband Ernest, myself and our son Ernest went to my appointment while the girls were in school.We got in pretty quick. We listened to the heartbeat and Dr. Lopez asked all the questions and then measured my belly. He said I was measuring at 37-38 weeks and asked if I was sure about my last period. I had never been wrong with my other 4 pregnancies so it was unlikely I was now. But, who knew. So he said I made it to 1 appointment and said if i think I'm in labor to get over to the hospital. Then he decided he wanted an emergency ultrasound done ASAP and to see him again in a week if I even made it that long. So the things that start going through our minds are ok, it's really time to start getting ready for baby. We needed a car seat, breast pump, diapers and other things, but were going to wait for the majority of that stuff until after baby was born. We were going to wait to find out what we were having. We have never waited. So we thought it would be fun.
We were sent right over to the hospital for the ultrasound. I was so excited I was finally going to see my baby!!! This turned out to be one of the longest ultrasounds I have ever had. And the whole time it never crossed my mind that something was wrong. The ultrasound tech said he was having a hard time getting the measurements he needed because of how the baby was laying. Something urged me to ask if he could tell what we were having. He said he couldn't tell for sure be he thought baby was a girl. We were totally okay with that. 4 girls and 1 boy. We are good at making girls. He never said anything about my due date or if I was further along. There really wasn't a whole lot said from him at all. But now I've come to know they can't say anything about what they find. It has to be done by the doctor. All I knew was I was already getting pretty uncomfortable. I couldn't eat much or lean forward very far. It felt better to lean back or lay down. On my way home from the ultrasound the doctors office called me and told me to make sure I didn't miss my next appointment. I told them of course I would be there. This was the first time that small voice said something could be wrong. Otherwise, why would they call and tell me not to miss my next appointment? But, I told myself it was probably nothing and they just wanted to make sure I was there. A couple days later I went to Walmart and bought some outfits for a newborn girl, some socks, mittens, a precious ultra soft blanket, booties, baby soap and A&D ointment. I just had to. I am so glad I did because these have become so special to me.
~ October 20th 2010 ~
For this appointment the girls were all out of school. So the kids and I drove to the doctors office and my hubby met us there.We decided he would take the kids to the park while I was at the doctor. I was getting a pap and all that stuff so I didn't want the kids there. So once all that was done the doctor said there were 3 things from the ultrasound we had the week before that he wanted to talk to me about. The first was that I had excess amniotic fluid called hydramnios. He said it's very common. Second, the baby had an extra skin fold on the back of her neck and third, her thigh bones were shorter than they should be. These 2 things together suggested the possibility of a down syndrome baby. He also gave us a new due date of January 5th. My due date changed multiple times until they finally settled on my original date of January 19th 2011.
I held it together until the doctor left and was getting dressed. I called my hubby and told him he needed to come back now. I couldn't talk. I went to the scheduling desk and they were in the process of getting me an appointment with a genetic counselor. In the meantime my hubby came in and asked what was wrong. I told him our baby possibly had down syndrome and that we were getting an appointment with a genetic counselor where they woud do a Level 3 ultrasound. But to be totally honest, I was upset at for a little while but to me, having a down syndrome child wasn't bad. I have always had a heart for these beautiful ones and was ok with my baby having down syndrome if that's what God wanted for us. He wouldn't bless us with this baby and then leave us along the road of raising her and being her parents. My trust was in Him.
So the kids and I went home and I made the calls to my mom and dad, sister and my best friend to let them know what happened and to ask for prayer.

My next post will be about our first Level 3 ultrasound and appointment with the genetic counselor and the results of all of that.

6 comments:

  1. Hi! Just stopping by from Grief Journeys. Prayers for you and your family! I can't wait to read the rest of your story!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hillary. :) I really appreciate you reading my blog. (((hugs)))

      Delete
  2. I love Hope! Can't wait to read the rest! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww!! Thank you Kindy! You all inspire me to write again. <3

      Delete